At the time of writing, #NBFolks is a one-enby operation (with occasional help from the spectacular @moriings), and while I’m completely happy to carry on for as long as life, health and a steady Internet connection permit, it’d be really, really handy to have a few official volunteer helpers. Therefore, if any of the below appeal to you, please, please get in touch!
These are unpaid positions and all I can offer in recompense is my undying gratitude, bad jokes, probably a few misplaced fandom references, and maybe a bit of a rise in your social media influence, if that’s something that appeals to you 😉
Mods are required to be over 18, please, so that I can be confident you’re an adult in the eyes of the law and therefore can be considered legally responsible. Sorry, younger NBFolks – your support is still hugely appreciated in promo-ing the chat and of course, most importantly, taking part!
Chat mods – two or three required
As a volunteer chat mod, you’d be given access to the official @NBFolks twitter account via Tweetdeck (a free browser app – no downloads, no fuss), and expected to keep an eye on DMs and @ mentions to the account during your scheduled times – which we’d work out to ensure it fits around your life and timezone. It’s by no means a constant thing; just checking in every now and then on your phone should be enough – certainly at this stage, when our interaction level is relatively low. You’d get full support and training if you need it from Lex, who has in turn been mentored on social media management by social expert and creator of the Open, Random and Supportive method of communication (ORS), Thomas Power.
In addition to keeping an eye on the official account during your rota’d times, you would also…
* be responsible for mod duties for one in every three or four #NBFolks sessions – posting the questions, guiding the conversation where necessary, retweeting and favouriting great chat content using the official account (worry not: exceptional circumstances notwithstanding, Lex will be there every Sunday to support you if you need it),
* tweet live from the official account as necessary or as suits your fancy (and is appropriate) during your ‘shifts’, making sure to end your tweets with an identifier (I’ll probably use ^LBJ to indicate @lexberju, for example; you might use ^dru if your twitter handle was – making this up – dreamingunicorns, or ^TR if those are your initials, say)
* help to advertise the chat via your personal account, except possibly in exceptional circumstances where it’s unsafe for you to do so (in those cases I’d encourage you to have a second, anonymous twitter!), and
* get access to the “exec chat” (which really needs a better name) on WhatsApp, where mods can discuss weekly topics and support one another in case of needing a bit of help with the official channel.
Creative editors – one or two required
Creative editors are responsible for, surprise surprise, the creative side of #NBFolks. You’d be tasked with designing the banners for the weekly chats (I have a template using free online app Canva, but go wild – a proper art director type could doubtless do better than me), designing other artistic content such as quote images (bearing in mind that all content should be accessible – make sure quotes can be written in the text of a tweet, for screen-reader users) and pretty much steering the creative/artistic direction of the community. I like to think I’m an artistic person but I’d love to hand this off to someone with real experience in the field to really amp up our posts (“did you know?” of the day: tweets with images tend to get a lot more engagement). Creative editors get invited to the WhatsApp exec group, too.
Ooh… Now here’s where Lex gets a little precious, being as they’re a reporting analyst in the day job. That said, someone who really knows their way around social media analysis would be a huge help to the cause. Do you have access to an easy way of tracking hashtags and measuring engagement? Do you know your way around creating a transcript of a twitter chat, so we can record each Sunday session for people who might have missed it? Then I need your skills. I can help you out with any cool Excel wizardry you need to present any data you want, but social media analytics themselves are where I fall down a little. If you can help, get in touch.
Our chat analyst also gets access to the WhatsApp exec group!
Content editors – two or three required
Content editors are the people who write the blog posts, framing and discussion questions. In an ideal world, content editors would also be chat mods, but I know some people may be much more comfortable with one side than the other, so I’m opening up both as separate positions. Don’t forget though, if you can do two or three or all of these things and have the time to commit to them all, please feel free to apply for all that strike your fancy!
Content editors would:
* source topics for the weekly chat, whether through their own imagination and/or experience, or by asking friends, colleagues, Facebook group members (remember not to spam) or any other appropriate method,
* write the weekly framing post
* liaise with the creative team to ensure each blog post has an image to promote that chat,
* work with guest bloggers – there will eventually be guest posts on the #NBFolks blog! – to ensure we deliver great content regularly, and
* be part of the exec WhatsApp group.
If any of these have grabbed your attention, see here for the application form. I haven’t put a close date on it, and once positions are filled, I will hang on to details of other applicants in case (here’s hoping!) the chat grows to an extent that we need more helpers.
There’s also room for a ground crew of unofficial advertisers who commit to retweeting the chat promos, and plenty of scope for guest bloggers – whether one-off or regular – to populate the blog with awesome content (I’m aiming for one non-promo post a week within the next two months).
Lastly, do you represent another nonbinary-centric organisation, trust or charity? I’d be more than happy to discuss a blog linkshare in our sidebars and/or some level of affiliation, if your organisation would be interested.
For all of the above, you can get in touch with Lex to chat via Twitter DM (open to all, though feel free to follow me!), email or, if you don’t mind your question being public, just comment on this post.